- 1 pound of sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup light corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 unbaked 10 inch pie crust
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake until the are fork tender approximately 1 1/2 hours). Cool the sweet potatoes, then peel, and mash in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/4 of the white sugar, spices, one of the eggs, the heavy cream, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the sweet potatoes. Mix well. Add the filling to the pie crust. Sprinkle pecan pieces over potato filling.
In another large mixing bowl, combine remaining 4 eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla, remaining sugars, corn syrup and salt. Stir to blend. Pour over pecans. Bake until filling sets and crust is nicely browned, about one hour. Remove from oven and cool for 10 min. Before slicing to serve. Garnish with whipped cream.