- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and sprinkled with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon whole grain mustard
- 2-3 slices Jarlsberg or other Swiss cheese
1. Melt butter over flat top griddle or large cast-iron skillet and toast rye bread slices.
2. Season and grill burgers on flat top. Cook to medium-rare.
3. Put olive oil on griddle and grill onions until caramelized.
4. Melt cheese slices over each burger.
5. Assemble pattymelt by spreading mustard over each slice of rye toast, add cheeseburgers, top with caramelized onions and remaining slices of rye toast.