- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 6 oz (approximately 1/3 of a 1-pound roll) breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1/4 Cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 10-oz. box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 Cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375˚.
2. Spray a 9 x 9" or 11 x 17" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, egg whites, salt, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let sit while you prepare the rest.
4. In a skillet over medium high heat, add the sausage and cook until the sausage is brown. Reduce the heat, add the onion and garlic and saute until the vegetables are soft.
5. Add to egg-bread mixture along with the spinach and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Stir until well-mixed and pour into prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes.
6. Top with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.