- 1/2 Cup shortening
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a large tube or angel food cake pan and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the shortening and butter while gradually adding the sugar.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Slowly add to the creamed mixture, then add the milk.
5. Add the vanilla. Beat well, about 5 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 50 to 90 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 6-7 minutes, and then invert the pan onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Carefully cut around the sides of the pan to remove.