If you love to cook and love eating good food, then you will love my pages. I was born and raised in the deep South. That is where we love drinking sweet tea and eating fresh green beans cooked with bacon. The recipes are not all "mine" but are recipes that I seem to want to cook repeatedly. I hope you enjoy and are inspired to try them yourself.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Sage
2 pork tenderloins, large, about 2 lbs
10 fresh sage leaves, very finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
9 -10 slices thick-cut bacon
3 -4 apples large apples such as Cortland, or other baking apples
1 onion, large
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup Chicken broth
1. Trim any silver skin on loins if present, cut away and discard.
2. Sprinkle sage, garlic, salt and pepper all over loins. Place loins closely together lengthwise, with thick ends meeting thin ends, to even out roast thickness.
3. Lay out slices of bacon snugly together on a cutting board, forming a rectangle. Place loins across bacon so bacon ends emerge from each side. Beginning at one end, lift a bacon end up over loins at a 45 degree angle. Then, alternating sides, continue lifting bacon ends down the length of roast forming a chevron pattern of bacon on top.
4. Cut five 12-inch lengths of twine and one 30-inch length. Place 5 shorter lengths of twine under loins width wise. Working out from roast center, firmly (but not causing deep indents to form) tie up each piece of twine, spacing evenly apart. Then tie up roast lengthwise with longer piece of twine. Trim twine ends; discard. (Roast can be prepared, covered and refrigerated for up to half a day. Add 10 to 15 minutes to roasting time.).
5. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
6. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Lightly brown roast on all sides, about 15 minutes in total.
7. Transfer to a baking pan lined with a rack. Place in oven; set time for 30 minutes. Check and continue roasting until a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees.
8. Remove from oven: transfer to cutting board. Cover roast with foil; let rest 15 to 20 minutes.