- 6 Cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups quick cooking Grits
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- pinch of Nutmeg
- fresh ground Black Pepper
- Hot Pepper Sauce
- 12 slices Bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs. large, uncooked Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb. Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Cups sliced Green Onions
- 2 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup fresh Parsley, chopped
Bring the 6 Cups of water to boil; add salt. Whisk in grits. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until mixture is thick and grits are tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk in cheese and nutmeg. Season to taste black pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and set aside.
Cook bacon in skillet until brown but not crisp. Transfer bacon to small bowl. Pour off half of drippings from skillet. Add shrimp to same skillet and cook until just pink, about 2 minutes per side. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a plate. Add mushrooms to same skillet and saute' until tender, about 4 minutes. Add green onions and garlic; saute' 3 minutes. Return shrimp and bacon to skillet. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Reheat grits to simmer; add hot water by tablespoons if too thick.
Spoon grits onto plates. Spoon shrimp mixture over top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.