- 12 ounces elbow noodles
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch
- 4 Cups low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons hot sauce, preferably Frank’s
- 3/4 Cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bring a Dutch oven of water to a boil. Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
3. Heat oil in the pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and milk in a medium bowl; add to the pot along with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in hot sauce.
4. Spread the noodles in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture; sprinkle with blue cheese.
5. Bake the casserole until it is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 Servings