- 8 Cups yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups green pepper strips
- 2 Cups vinegar
- 3 1/2 Cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup salt
1. Put sliced squash and onions in bowl or plastic pan and sprinkle with the 1/4 salt over them. Let stand for 1 hour. Pour off the water that has accumulated.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, green peppers, celery seed, mustard seed and red pepper flakes in a large pot; just bring to boil. Add squash and and onions. Bring to a boil again and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Fill clean hot canning jars with squash mixture quickly. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Seal. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Makes 5 pint jars.