- 2 Cups milk
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1 1/4 Cup English peas
- 1 pound penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Pour the milk into a saucepan over medium-low heat. When the milk is warm, turn off heat and set aside.
2. In another saucepan, combine the butter and flour over low heat. Stir together until the butter is melted and the flour is fully incorporated. Once the butter has completely melted, cook and stir for additional 2 minutes. Gradually add the warm milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until fully incorporated. Once all the milk as been added, stir constantly until thickened, about 3-4 minutes longer. Add the tarragon, ham and salt to taste and stir for a few seconds. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
3. Preheat the broiler. Butter a 6 by 12 inch baking dish.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the peas. When the water returns to a boil, add the pasta. Cook until al dente', 10-12 minutes. Drain the pasta and peas and transfer to the prepared dish. Pour the warm sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Broil until the top is golden, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.