- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, chopped
- 2 rutabagas, chopped
- 14 ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup small macaroni
- 14 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes, tomato paste. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour in vegetable stock and bring to boil. Stir well, cover, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Add the pasta and bring to boil, stirring. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or according to package instructions, until pasta is just al dente.
5. Stir in beans. Heat through for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot in warmed soup bowls with grated Parmesan cheese.